Introduce a new cat to home. How to introduce a new cat to other cats? GUIDELINES FOR INTRODUCING A NEW CAT
When you have already got cats as a part of your family, introducing a newly adopted cat can appear to be an immense and difficult task. In these situations, patience is vital , because the transition can take several weeks, but by planning it beforehand , you'll reduce stress, leave a neater transition and build a positive relationship between your feline companions.
Introduce a new cat to home
- you want to isolate your new cat during a separate environment with its own food, water, litter box, scraper, bed and toys.
- Bring familiar items from the adoption place to the separate place so as to form this place comforting and "homey" for your new cat.
- If there are other cats in your house, this initiative allows the 2 cats to urge wont to the smell and sounds of the opposite cat without risk of confrontation.
- confirm you spend enough time with each cat or group of cats individually.
- Keep the transport box open within the environment where the new cat is, in order that your cat features a place to cover and may become conversant in the box for future veterinary visits. once you allow your cat to possess an area to cover and become conversant in the shipping box, this reduces the strain and therefore the difficulty of putting your cat within the box when he must attend the vet's office or on a visit .
- Once all of your cats reception seem relaxed, gradually start moving the food dishes closer to the door that separates them. If any stress is noticed, return to the stage where you were comfortable and work more slowly.
- you'll also use a toy for them to play under the door once they are calm and curious.
- If your cats are calm, start by changing the cat cloths / blankets in order that one can smell the opposite .
- Remember to reward all calm behaviors together with your own snacks and compliments during a low voice.
- When your cats are comfortable with the smell exchange, it is time to undertake a quick and safe interaction. this will be done by opening the door opening in order that both cats are safe, but can begin to ascertain one another .
- If a cat squeaks or tries to attack, close the door, and restart more gradually.
- Sometimes it are often useful to distract your cats with food.
- When everything goes well with the smell exchange, place your new cat within the shipping box and permit your other cat (s) to explore once you see and smell your new cat quite draw in a secure environment, but always supervising and moving the new cat away at any sign of discomfort.
- Reward calm behaviors together with your own snacks and compliments during a soft voice. If you notice any signs of stress from the cats, return the new one to his environment.
- If your cats look comfortable therein environment, subsequent step is to undertake to put them within the same room with direct supervision. Start presentations for brief periods to assist make these experiences more likely to be positive (positive reinforcement together with your own snacks). Remember to twiddling my thumbs and return a couple of steps, if necessary, and gradually reintroduce it. If you've got any questions, contact your veterinarian.
- Once your cats are successfully acclimated, remember that every cat still needs its own resources, often in several locations, like food, water, bedding, scratching posts and litter boxes.
- If your cats look comfortable therein environment, o - It can still be difficult to acclimatize a cat in your home, albeit you do not produce other cats.
- As your new feline companion becomes easier , he's more likely to explore and test the bounds of the environment. - you ought to always check for potential risks in your home, like poisonous plants, curtains, fireplaces, breakable objects, etc.
Remember, each cat has time to adapt and not forcing cats to point out up is important to their well-being.